If you love history...

Okay, I'll be the first to admit, history and I have never been friends. Sure, I've read a ton of books with historical elements. Plus, I took all of those history classes in school. However, I tended to roll my eyes through most of it, and goodness me, I never did learn all of those lists of dates. Thus, when I was given a copy of this book to read, I almost told the author 'sorry, no can do.' Because let's face it - a book designed to expand on a story from the Bible didn't seem like my kind of thing. 

Yet, I did find parts of this interesting. It would've been so much more so if the author had gone into so much more detail - there was just too much 'telling'. He really didn't go far enough into setting the scene so to speak. I felt myself wanting to be pulled into this time of history, be immersed in the culture but, alas, that never seemed to quite happen. 

Still and all, I've got to hand it to the author for the amount of research he must have done to turn a few chapters in the Bible into an entire novel. History buffs, I'm sure would love this book and the details included. To see the life of Abram as it unfolds, warts and all, does a rather good job at making this larger-than-life man seem more relatable. A man who struggles with right and wrong, good and evil. 

When I asked Brian about this book - he mentioned something I found rather intriguing. He writes the old-fashioned way - pen and paper. Later, he edited the novel as he typed it onto his computer. Now that that takes some serious dedication! Most of the time, I dictate to my computer and don't type at all... 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!