Best movie experience ever?

 A few weeks ago, I got an email from a local theater. A little note letting me know that on Tuesdays tickets, popcorn and drinks were cheaper. Okay, I'll bite and be brave - go to the movie theater for the first time in 18 months. Opening the app, I looked at what movies were available and bought a ticket to 'Free guy'. There I was on that Tuesday, standing in an empty parking lot wondering if it was some kind of joke. The ticket window didn't even exist anymore. Taking a huge breath, I decided to try the door. To my surprise, it opened to the dim lobby. One lone person stood behind the concession stand, she was playing with her phone and ignoring me. I spotted a row of machines off to one side, you know the ones - like they have at airports to get your tickets. I walk over and yup, that's how you check-in at the theater now. Next, I head over to the lone employee to get popcorn. I don't drink soda, thus I had water in my purse. She gets the popcorn for me, asks what movie I'm wanting to see, and then directs me to the right number room. Again, she and I are the only people in the place. Weird, but I roll with it. As I walk through the door, I hear the trailers have already started. As I round the corner, I spy two things. First, the theater has been remodeled. Where there were once those uncomfortable folding seats, now are huge comfy ones. Second, I'm alone. As I settle into my chair, front and center, I recline in luxury. Placing my water in the cupholder, my popcorn in my lap, and my purse in the chair next to me, I relaxed to enjoy the show. The movie starts and I watch the entire thing in the giant room by myself. A private viewing. Now I'm not going to try to tell you what's best for you. Or what's best for the economy. However, I'm vaccinated. I have a bit of money I can spend on wants not needs. And as I sat there, alone, it got me thinking of how much it was costing the theater to run that movie for just me. Because there's no way little ol' me paid enough money to make that a profitable venture for them. Thus, I made the decision to do my part. I'm going to make a few more leaps out of my comfort zone. Try to do my part to give some local businesses some of my money by shopping there more and shopping online less. Oh, I know I'm only a drop in the ocean...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!