Deep in the woods I walk

I had the opportunity to go hiking in an almost closed National Forest. Now the campgrounds and picnic areas were closed but one could still use the hiking trails. Cool. I’m so in! Hiking has always been an activity I’ve enjoyed, growing up in the mountains will instill that in you. So there I was, wandering almost alone in this giant wilderness which should have been bustling with people this time of year. No yell people at all. Nope. It was rather nice to hear the rustle of the trees in the wind. The chirping of the birds. The chatter of the squirrels. Every once in a while, I’d cross paths with another small group of hikers. However, they, like me, were being quiet and respectful of the natural wonder we were in. The day was going great until I slipped on a rock while crossing a small stream. Now I was properly attired for a hike, good shoes, pants, hat, etc. And I know to watch where you step, plan your attack to speak. But things do happen even to the best of us. Okay, so I wasn’t really injured, minor scratch on my leg. Yet, it hit me at that moment – I was somewhere I couldn’t call for help. No cell service. No Forest Service personal available because of the pandemic. Very few other hikers. Yes, I had told people where I was going for the day. But by the time anyone would be aware I was missing lots of bad things could happen. Assistance should always be there when we need it. It’s scary to think we are living in a world were help may not be available. Where there are more questions than answers. But removing ourselves from the world won’t solve anything. While my day in the woods did help to calm me, when I arrived home all the crises going on right now were still there. Yet, if no one has the answers, how do we solve the problems? I wish I had some clue. However for now, I'm going to keep doing the best I can to make my little corner of this planet a better place. "He has told you, o man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God" 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!