Should I stay or Should I go

By now most of us have figured out some kind of new normal. We’ve also, hopefully, figured out what the difference between a need and a want. And based on these things, I decided to venture out into the world the other day for a few essentials. While standing in line waiting to check out, the man behind me made a few comments about the weirdness of it all. Everyone wearing masks, the circles on the floor for where to stand and the plexiglass boxes the cashiers were in. Then some man started to walk into the store – without a mask on. Now, this store has a giant sign on the door, with red lettering no less, “NO ADMITANCE WITHOUT A MASK”. Both cashiers started yelling at the man, who didn’t seem to hear them at first. Nope, he just kept nonchalantly walking in. As if this was a normal day, a normal place and nothing odd was going on in the world. Yikes. Finally, after someone said they were calling the police, the man turned around and left. Being me, I decided to lighten up the situation by telling everyone something funny. I asked everyone if they had heard about the woman who’d been arrested for randomly kissing strangers at a bar. One guy remarked that that used to be called flirting. Someone else chimed in that now it’s just being a lethal weapon. In a few moments everyone was laughing behind their masks. It was about then I really paid attention to those masks. Of the twenty or so people around me there was quite the variety. No two were alike, most were home-made in basic blue, white or black fabric. However, a few were in floral prints, tiger stripes or leopard print. One was a bit scary with sharp teeth printed on it. Well, at least individuality is still alive and well. Our faces may be hidden, but we can still show who we are. I think I might change my mask – it’s just a plain blue one after all. Find some pretty fabric which better reflects who I am. Or maybe something which matches my outfit or shoes or purse. Hey, I’ve got all kinds of time on my hands – I could make several. I’ve already made a few masks for donations to the hospital, might as well keep it up. Not like I’m going anywhere anytime soon…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!