laughter is the best medicine


Last week I had the opportunity to be the plus-one for an elderly neighbor who was having minor surgery.
After I got her sent off for her procedure, I settled into the waiting/reception area for the several hours
wait. All of the other plus-ones were quietly sitting there playing with phones or tablets and the air was
thick with tension. Clearly, no one was happy to be there or about what their loved ones/friends were
having done. Then an elderly couple came in. The reception desk was far enough away one normally
couldn't hear what was being said. However, when the woman behind the desk started to put the
armband on the gentleman's arm, he raised his voice loud enough for all to hear. Yelling something
to the effect that he wasn't going to have surgery anywhere that could only tell which side he was
needing the procedure done on based on which arm the band was on. Yikes. But the woman at the
desk had been there, done that, and got the t-shirt to prove it. Without batting an eye, she got up
and equally loudly stated something about it being only one of many safety measures in place. And
then she gently led them through the door into the pre-op area without waiting for a nurse, like she
had with everyone else. Quick as a spark ignites a fire, a giggle behind me became a room full of
chuckles. It was then I realized there were only women in the room. One woman made the comment
about how her husband had fought her for 2 days over the pre-op instructions - he knew better than
the doctor what was important to do and not do before his surgery. Another stated this was her
husband’s second surgery in a few months and she swore taming a bear would be easier. All over
the room, these women shared their complaints and more laughter. The rest of the morning flew by
as the chatting continued. Laughter really is the best medicine. Okay, I know - the saying was meant
for patients. Yet, it certainly helped this room full of very nervous plus-ones. And, yes, I know, I was
the least nervous person in the place - I really didn’t have any skin in the game, so to speak. I was
there for a neighbor, someone I’m not that close to. Still, I’m always up for a good laugh. But it made
me wonder - why did the center have the T.V. on the all news channel? Doom and gloom wasn’t a
good choice. Thus, my tip for the day: make laughter a habit - always opt for it over all else no matter
the situation. There is always some silly little thing you can find to make you smile, you just have to
look for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!