Do I have to stand alone?


Social distancing. The buzz words of the year. Problem is I'm a very social creature.
I thrive on being around others. Not that I have to be in every conversation but I do
need to at least be a fly on the wall. I love to sit and people watch, observe this strange
creature that is human. But what am I to do when my favorite coffee shop is closed?
My favorite restaurant is take-out only? Sigh… So there I was yesterday watching cats.
Yes, I did say cats. For some reasons there were 20 or 30 cats in my yard.
Apparently when the humans no longer roam the earth the cats will. They were chasing each other,
running after the squirrels and jumping onto and off the shed repeatedly. It was getting boring quickly.
Then I heard the neighbor’s kids come out to play. Ah, now this may get interesting. 2 kids became 6,
then 10, then I don’t know how many as every child in the neighborhood ended up in one place.
Yikes, I guess they don’t know about the rules of keeping gatherings small. Then things got really
out of hand as toys were being tossed into the air and started landing on the roof. About then was
when an adult finally showed up and kids scattered to every corner of the globe faster than you can
say ‘boo’. As I continued to watch the drama next door unfold, two elderly, slightly overweight women
stared at the roof for a few moments. One disappeared into the house, only to reappear with a small
step ladder. As I continued to observe their odd behavior, one of them tried to push the other onto
the roof from the top of this 4 foot high step ladder. Nope, I’m not sticking around for the end of this
disaster flick. Fine, I needed to go to the store. After all, I completely failed the last time I went and
this woman probably shouldn’t try to live on ice cream alone. Shortly after arriving at the store, I
spotted someone I hadn’t seen in a while. I waved ‘hi’ and started to walk closer. However, once she
noticed me, she shrieked something and turned and fled. Uhm, I know I haven’t been going out in
public much but I have been showering and brushing my hair. Why the freak-out? I just don’t even
want to know. Fine, I give up. I now have to admit the obvious. We are living in either one of the
best episodes of the Twilight Zone ever - or the worst. So keep your chin up, find something silly to
stare at for an hour or two or five and know that at some point this will end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!