Once more unto the breach....


So the other day I was trying to do something and a task that should have take at most an hour, well, let’s just say, I was several hours in an nowhere near a satisfactory completion. Thus, in frustration, I vented to someone about what was going on. I got the standard cliché reply, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” Okay, given the day I was having, I gave a rather sarcastic response. “I know Rome wasn’t built in a day – however if you get lost you can accidentally end up walking all of it in one. Been there, done that, got the blisters to prove it.” The person I was talking to thought this was hilarious. But, in all seriousness, where is that line between it’s time to throw in the towel or to keep pushing forward? Sometimes it’s rather obvious, like when you’re lost in a strange city. You can’t simply find a nice little corner, sit down and sleep until your flight home. Forget about your belonging in your hotel, nothing is that important anyway. No, of course you can’t do that. Not only is that a ridiculous idea, you’d probably get arrested. Yet, most of life isn’t this clear. I know I’ve talked about this before – some people see giving up as failure and failure is never an option. But sometimes you learn more from defeat than success. Thus, when do you know you’re beating a dead horse? Banging your head against a brick wall? Fishing in an empty barrel? Sweeping a dirt floor? Pushing water up a hill? Alright, I know, enough with the crazy clichés already. Yup, I’m writing this blog rather than taking another attempt at that task. Is it something I can actually do? Uhm, I still don’t know. Is it too soon to give in? Yikes, I’m still not sure about that either. Fine, enough with the procrastination. Once more unto the breach, dear friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!