Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it


So this weekend I decided to have some fun in honor of Columbus day. Or Indigenous Peoples Day. Whatever you want to call it, not the point. I made a quiz and for those who got all the questions right, I would give them a gift. I figured I was safe because most people don’t know anything about history. 1) What was Christopher Columbus’s real name? Boy did I get some looks over this one – and not a single correct answer. 2) What city do most scholars believe he’s from? I guess I should’ve given some hints – like, he’s not Spanish. Oh, my. But I did get a few people who at least were aware he was Italian. 3) What city did he sail to the New World from? Okay, honestly, you have to sail a ship in the water. Therefore, a city which isn’t anywhere near the ocean can’t be a correct answer – like Madrid. Yup, I got that one a lot. 4) Where did he land in the New World? Uhm, no Saint Augustine, Florida isn’t correct. Please try again. 5) How many trips to New World did he make? Well, I’ll give credit to a few people who at least knew he did return more than once. However, no one got the right answer. How is it possible that most people got 1 out of the 5 correct? Oh goodness, gracious me. To me, this seems like basic American history even if you are anti-conquest-by-Spanish/English/French or whoever. Okay, okay, I get it. In this current PC world we live in, many just want to forget/ignore history they don’t agree with. However, you can’t change the past or the facts to fit with whatever narrative you want to roll with. It seems we are doomed to repeat an awful lot of history…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

For fans of the Waltons

Choose your own adventure!