Someone can't do basic math


Last week I was travelling and the hotel I was in was a few doors down from a Dunkin Donuts. Thus, I decided to go over there for breakfast. As I entered the shop, I decided to get 4 donuts, not the 2 I was originally planning on. Then I would have extra for the next morning as well – or dessert later if I couldn’t resist the temptation. I step up to the counter and ask for my donuts and a tea. The woman behind the cash register states something to the effect that she won't sell me 4 donuts. Uhm, what?! Okay, lately I’ve been having a string of bad luck with trying to get service in places. The worst being a restaurant who seated me and then ignored me for 20 minutes. And I do mean ignored – no one walked by my table or even gave me a glass of water. But that’s a story for another time. So in my head, I’m wondering if demanding donuts is the hill I’m going to die on. By this I mean, am I going to stand here and demand service? Refuse to leave until someone helps me? However, before I start pitching a fit, the woman goes on to say something about 4 donuts being 6 dollars and something and 6 donuts being 5 dollars and something. Silly me, I was overreacting. She was trying to save me a buck and make me fat at the same time. Fine, whatever, I get 6 donuts. But then I have to figure out what in the world I’m going to do with the extras. As I sitting eating my breakfast, I watch others come and go from the shop and then I happen to look out the window. Ah, I spot a guy walking down the street pushing a shopping cart with what is obviously everything he owns in it. I quickly order a coffee, get some cream and sugar to go and rush to catch up to him. Without saying a word, I put the box of 4 donuts on top of his cart, hand him the coffee and little bag with the cream and sugar. Then I walked away without even a look back. Yes, I know. I’m always saying if you’re going to give food to the homeless it should be something with some nutritional value. However, this was what I had at the moment and I’m a firm believer in waste not want not. Yet I’m still torn about the policy at a donut shop where 6 donuts costs less than 4. Are they trying to get people to share or are they just encouraging gluttony? Not sure, but either way, I’m not walking into another Dunkin anytime soon…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

For fans of the Waltons

Choose your own adventure!