Wrong number? Right number?


A while ago I got this text from a number I didn’t recognize. ‘Praying for you.’ Uhm. Okay, what do I do with that? It was weird, there were storms all around, severe weather warnings for the area I was in. However, the number the text was from had a code from a different state. I blamed it on an odd coincidence because of the weather and ignored it.  But the next day, another text from the same number. ‘You have …’ Okay, now is the time to tell this poor person they have the wrong number. They need to remind the right person about this event, not me. However, I also mentioned about the first message coming at a rather opportune time. And that, I thought, would be that. Until yesterday. Yup, you guessed it. Another text from this random person again. ‘Is Simone going to be there tonite?’ And, nope, just for the record, I have no clue who that is. Fine, after a few moments of pause, I dash off a quick ‘Wrong number again’ reply. But then I have second thoughts. Maybe we were meant to have this exchange for some reason. Maybe this isn’t such a wrong number after all. I make a second reply with my name. And hope the person on the other end with share theirs as well. I know most people love to text and prefer it over a phone call. Because texting is so easy, so impersonal. However, it’s a flawed system. We can’t hear/see the other person and know instantly it’s not our friend/family/neighbor. We so often can’t tell what emotions people are feeling even with all the symbols in texts. And don’t even get me started on all of the abbreviations people use. All of these modern ways of communication meant to make the world smaller so often only makes us more isolated in our own little corner. But what if a random text from a stranger could lead to a friendship being formed against all odds? So Dean, my random texter, whenever inspiration strikes you, please send me another text. I don’t mind. From now on it won’t be a wrong number anymore, feel free to consider me one of your contacts. Let's do our part to make the world a wee bit smaller...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!