Where's the key?


A friend and I were having coffee yesterday. I made the mistake of asking her how her weekend went. She turned to me and said, “It went so good, it finally gave me proof my husband has lost his mind.” Uhm, okay. She then proceeded to tell me what happened Saturday. She left to do some errands while her husband was out tinkering in the shed. When she returned home almost 2 hours later, she found him sitting on the front porch. While she found that odd, she, at first didn’t think much of it as she pulled into the garage. He followed her into the garage, thumped on the roof of the car as she was getting out. Then he started telling her all about how she had locked him out of the house. Which was very bad since there wasn’t any drinking water to be had and no food. And apparently, worse of all, no bathroom, which for an older gentleman with prostate problems was a major no-no. As she’s telling me this, she’s really getting animated – her hands are swinging all over the place, her voice is getting louder and she got this look in her eye. She goes on to say, “What’s so bad about having the habit of locking the door when you leave the house?” She doesn’t even remember doing it that morning, for heavens sake. And then comes the kicker. Turns out, her husband is forever locking himself out of the house. Thus, they have a spare key hanging in the shed. So why, on the one morning she accidentally locks him out, does he not use said key? Who knows. All I could say, was “Wow, just wow”, as I was trying not to laugh. Here’s the thing, this is one of those moments in life you will look back at years later and laugh about. Okay, okay. I know this friend is in her 70’s, thus maybe she will find this funny in a few months not years. She and her husband, in some cozy moment, will look into each other’s eyes and say “Remember when (I/you) locked (you/me) out?”  And both will break out into fits of giggles. But why wait? Why be upset over something so stupid and petty even for such a short time? Things happen, no malice was intended, no harm was done. Sometimes it’s best to just let somethings slide. As I once heard – Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff. Laugh now, tomorrow is never a given…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!