Go ahead, stick your toes in, the water is fine...


Now I love the beach. More specifically, I love the feel of the sand on my feet as I watch the sun set over the water. Anytime I can get a chance to go to the beach, I jump on it. However, I would never live anywhere near the beach. I’m deathly afraid of those storms, the water, the waves, the wind. I know, I know. There are bad storms everywhere. Doesn’t matter where you live. But when I see the power of a wave on a relatively calm day, I just don’t want to be around when the big one hits. Stupid, and crazy of me to think that way. You can always leave the area well ahead of a storm. But still, I live far, far away. Irrational fears often stop us from doing some of the greatest things in our lives. We falter when we should be rushing forward with wild abandon. We stick to what is safe, comfortable, normal. We become adults with a security blanket, holding on for dear life. Sometimes this can be a very good thing, after all only fools rush in. Or do they? I know someone who won’t leave the town they live in because they're afraid of public restrooms. Nope, have to use the one at home and only the one at home. How sad. There’s a great big world out there just waiting to be explored. I know someone else who won’t eat something different for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Nope, if they’ve never had it before, it’s just not worth eating. Momma knew best as far as food was concerned and nothing else will ever compare. They will starve before trying something new. I could name a few other examples of people I know who are stuck. Now, I would never make light of a genuine phobia. However, this is often not what’s holding people back. It’s excuses, plain and simple. So, here’s to just going for it. Or not. I don’t know, maybe I should buy a small lot right on the water. Put a small camper on it so it can be easily moved. Stick my toes in beach living, so to speak. Take the plunge, do something else really crazy in my life. Naw, I think I will simply stick to bumming rides to the beach every chance I get…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!