The end of the world?

So, I had this weird space in my home and I couldn’t figure out what to do with it. Finally, I decided to slap some shelves in there and make it extra storage. Since putting up shelves is easier with 4 hands than 2, I asked a friend to come over. She, having nothing better to, happily agreed. In no time at all, we got the shelves in and I started pulling out the storage bins from the closet. I had things in there which I was going to put on my new shelves. My friend began to open the bins to help me arrange things. “Uhm, are you getting ready for the zombie apocalypse or do you know something about the state of the economy I don’t?” She asked as she turned to me with several bottle of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide in her hands. Okay, I know, I know. I like a good deal. The dollar store had this stuff on sale one day 4 for $1. Awesome. I probably got a few too many. However, I do have some rational for having so much on hand. If I get a major cut, I don’t want to be walking blocks to the nearest store to be getting band-aids and other first aid supplies, now do I? Can you just see it – me bleeding from some where as I hobble down the street leaving a trail of blood behind me? No, I’m not going to do that. Instead I’ve got a well-stocked medicine cabinet. As in, a million band-aids in every size they make, gauze in various forms and sizes, all kinds of first aid creams, ointments, sprays, various over the counter medications, and well, I’m not sure what else. You have a medical emergency anywhere near me and trust me, you will be fine. Remember the ‘Be prepared’ motto? Yup, I’m the poster gal for it. But given her reaction, I think I might be overdoing it a bit. Okay, okay, more than a bit. I might be better stocked than some E.R.s. Here’s the thing – you have to know when it’s a good thing to go overboard and when it’s not. Well, at least in my humble opinion. For example – 90 rolls of toilet paper vs. 90 heads of lettuce. TP you’ll use, eventually. Lettuce will rot to mush long before you could ever eat it. Life is like that, you have to know when to give it your all and when it’s just not worth your time and effort. Some things and some people are just a giant waste of resources. Nothing you do will change the outcome. The sooner you come to terms with that the better. Hold onto the things you can, let everything else float away with the tide...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

For fans of the Waltons

Choose your own adventure!