Welcome to the Twilight Zone



Now I’ve written about my love of small towns before. There’s just something magical and unique about each one. And sometimes even a visitor can get a glimpse of the insiders view of the place if there aren’t many people around. Usually, this is a good thing. Okay, so the other day I visited this little town. I seemed to be the only person there but the shop keepers. The very gossipy shop keepers. First up, a cute little store with lots of items with cutesy little sayings on them. I’m happily browsing when the owner starts chatting with me. Mostly to tell me why the store next door is closed. She used a lot of air quotes as she explained about how those people often have ‘colds’. Thus they show up for work late or not at all. It was a wonder the shop was still in business, according to her. Especially when she was sure they were treating their ‘cold’ with more than ‘Nyquil’ if I knew what she meant.  Yup, I was getting her meaning. She was trying to tell me it was her high and mighty opinion these people were drunks or drug addicts. She was letting me know she had no qualms letting every Tom, Dick and Harry who walked in her store know her lofty judgment of this couple. And heaven help me, or anyone else for that matter, if I let slip anything personal in nature. Because it was going to be known by everyone on the planet in two seconds flat. Yikes, moving on to store number 2. The very nice girl in the next shop starts sneezing as soon as I walked in. Now this isn’t the shop that’s closed because the people have a ‘cold’. No, it’s another place entirely.  She then goes on to tell me about how sick she’s been for the last several weeks. However, not to worry, her doctor assured her she’s safe to work because it’s nothing contagious. Oh, yeah, and I’m supposed to just take her word that she’s not patient zero in the newest world population ending epidemic? No way, Jose. I ain’t touching anything in this shop, I’m not going anywhere near her and I’m going to get the heck out of there as soon as is possible and still make it seem like I’m a polite human being. Like in about 10 seconds. Okay, deep, deep breath. There are other shops in this town. Fine, onward I go down the street. Let’s see what’s behind door number 3. In the next shop, the conversation started out much tamer. We were discussing the weather. The very nice woman asked me if it’s been raining a lot where I was from. When I replied that, yes, even though I was several hours away from home, the rain seemed to be never ending there as well.  She smiled and responded about how nice the couple of dry days had been. And then she shocked the heck out of me. She went on to say that that morning her husband had mentioned it looked like rain. He had gone on further and added it was a good thing because the mud was looking a bit dehydrated. She then proceeded to tell me she had turned around and slapped him. Uh, oh my. What am I supposed to do with this information? No, not so nice of a lady. What was up with this supposedly quaint little town? I was beginning to feel like I’d stepped into an episode of the Twilight Zone. Empty streets, strange characters in the shops, and me wondering what I’m supposed to do to get out of town as quickly as possible. But I’m stuck, there’s no way out. Okay, cue the weird music and the creepy guy explaining what’s going on. And then put me on the first bus out of dodge. I think I was now understanding why I was the only one in the place – everyone else has already figured out this town’s odd little secret. Thus no one stops here anymore. However, I hadn’t been here before, I’d stumbled in here quite by accident. Oops. Ah, but often isn't life just a series of missteps? What's important is what we can learn from them, how we can grow and be better. So what I learned here was - there truly is safety in numbers. Never stop and explore the deserted town. No matter how cute it may look, just keep driving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

A different viewpoint on blended families