Do you want to die here?


I’ve often been told I’m just to nice of a person. I’ll help anyone if they ask and apparently that’s not a good thing. Not quite sure why so many people think that, I think it's honorable to be helpful. So, yes, I, like many women, have this compulsive need to pour myself out until there’s nothing left. Okay, fine, so I get asked to help in this seemingly impossible situation. Yup, I jump right in. No thoughts about how stressful this might be or even if I should even be involved in the first place. Oh, of course not, I am woman. Hear me roar. Or at least whimper. Brother fighting against brother with elderly mother in the middle and me along for the ride. So much funage. This was truly a case of no one wanting to bend even a little for what might be best in the long run. And I’m left trying to reason with two grown men acting like children. Then their mom gets in on the fight but she’s got dementia and doesn’t know what’s best. Plus, she’s not going to remember what she said in an hour or what anyone else said either for that matter. Talk about stress for stress sake. In the end, nothing was resolved. The problem was left for another day. Not good. However, this was an excellent reminder of the saying “pick your battles.” Was this a fight worth dying for? For me no, I had no dog in it. For this family, yes. Their mom is in a horrible place and needs help. However, until the family is willing to come together as one, nothing is going to change. Sometimes we just need to learn to compromise, give a little for the best of the ones we love. The trick is to know when we’ve given too much and lost a part of ourselves in the process. Bending isn't always a sign of weakness, sometimes it's a show of having the most strength of anyone around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

A different viewpoint on blended families