Come to my house for paella


So, I’ve learned how to cook paella.  Now if you don’t know what this is, it’s this amazing Spanish rice dish. You can make it with seafood, chicken, or chorizo. But there are several tricks to making it right. First, you must use the correct rice – no substitutes allowed! Next, you must take your time and slowly add the ingredients to build the flavors in layer by layer – can’t just dump everything in a pan and call it a day! Finally, never let it come to a boil – you’ll end up with mush and rubber! There I was the other night, standing over my paella. Watching it as it slowly simmered, the smells wafting up to me as it gently bubbled happily in the pan. And I got to thinking – paella is life, life is paella. You can’t fake emotions - you have to be real with people.  You can’t rush life - you’ll miss too much and it’ll end up boring because you’ve missed most of the fun. And you most certainly can’t get angry over every little thing - because, lets face it, nobody wants to be around that. But most important of all, life and paella should be shared with others. Ugh, who could I find at the last minute to come over to share this wonderful meal with me? I was drawing a blank, I was failing at one of the basic tenets of paella and life. Because you see, when they make paella in Spain, they often make it in these huge pans for everyone in the village. Sure, my pan wasn't that big but I definitely was going to have leftovers. Okay, okay, I know the fumes from my paella were probably going to my head and making me giddy. After all, I was almost drooling by that point from the scent of the tang of the bay, saffron, pepper, the salty smells from the seafood. Thus, I’m sure the experience was making me read more into the simple dish than was there. Fine, excuse me for a moment while I pause to remember savoring the first bite. After all, the first bite is the best. When all of those tastes have finally married together and then burst into one final explosion of flavor in your mouth. Really there isn’t anything much better than that… Well, sharing the meal with a friend would've been. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to make paella again soon and make sure to invite someone over...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!