How random is too random?


Okay, I was visiting a new town. Wandering around as I like to do. More than a little bit lost. However, I wasn’t minding since I was finding some very interesting things, buildings, people, sights, sounds. It didn’t matter if I didn’t find what I was actually looking for – there was, after all, tomorrow. Then I noticed a guy with a cart walking my way. He seemed rather out of place with his shopping cart, but who am I to judge? When he gets right up to me, he stopped and asked if I would like a loaf of bread. Uhm, what am I going to do with a loaf of bread? There was no way I could eat it before I leave town and I would have to buy something to go with it. Nope, bread would complicate by life beyond measure at that moment. Thus, my reply was thanks but no thanks. Then he started the hard sell. Ah, but it’s fresh, artisan and free. ‘We’ are just trying to spread some love this holiday. By using the royal ‘we’ did he mean there was a roving band of bread guys around town? Was I going to run into more of them? Then it hit me, he had bypassed a lot of people to select me to offer the free bread to. What about me screamed I needed bread? Or did something about my demeanor shout I needed someone to pay attention to me? Should I be insulted or flattered? Either way, it didn’t matter why he picked me. I had no use for bread. Again, I said thanks, but no thanks. He smiled and finally moved on. I started to walk away but after a few moments, I turned around to watch the guy. Who else would he make the offer to? Would they accept? Because you must admit, it did seem a bit on the odd side to be doing this. Several minutes later, the guy approached a young man. I was to far away to hear the exchange but it didn’t take long for the young man to accept the bread grinning from ear to ear. Happy customer, happy giver. Yet, how many people would be hesitant to accept a loaf of bread from some random stranger? We don’t exactly trust our neighbors anymore much less someone we’ve never laid eye on before. How random is too random when it comes to acts of kindness? Or can we change the world and how we think about others by pushing the boundaries so far beyond what we find comfortable and safe? Points to ponder as we enter into this season of giving…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

For fans of the Waltons

Choose your own adventure!