The guy I almost slept with on the plane


On a recent long-haul flight, the stranger I was sitting next too decided to become a little too friendly with me.  First, every time I tried to take a drink, he would bump my elbow.  This resulted in my drink getting splashed on my shirt.  Fine, I switched from my right hand to my left.  Then I began to eat my yogurt, which of course required me to use both hands.  One to hold the cup and one to eat with.  Of course, the guy sitting next to me kept bumping me.  Thus, I now had yogurt on my shirt to go with my drink.  Then he decided I would make a good pillow.  He leaned his head on my shoulder and I gave him a good shove.  He responded by flopping his leg over mine.  At this point, I was so over this guy.  He hadn’t said one word to me so far the whole flight.  I don’t know where he’d learned his manners.  Honestly, people are always telling me I know nothing about the civilized world because I come from an area where it’s predominately small towns.  Yet, somehow I’m the one who’s always the nicest one in the room.  I'm the one who always knows how to treat my fellow man with respect and dignity.  Fine, back to my mate on the plane.  I almost said to him, “Hey, if we’re going to sleep together, don’t you think we should at least know each other’s first names?”  But, no I’m just too polite to say something so snarky like that to a stranger.  However, I did flip his leg off mine.  His response was to stomp on my foot and grind it into the floor.  Still, there wasn’t any way I was going to say a word to this ignoramus.  Nope, just slipped off my shoes, tucked my toes in the pocket in the seat back and curled into a ball.  Good thing I’m really small.  As I was exiting the plane hours later (well, really I was limping - either from being curled up for hours or being stomped on I don't know),  I overheard this guy yelling at one of the flight attendants.  I’m not exactly sure what he was upset about but I clearly hear him say, “Well, what do you know, you’re just a stupid stewardess.”  I almost shouted back, "A flight attendant who brought you dinner and an extra blanket!  Without a word of thanks from you, you idiot!"  But, nope, I slunk on by.  Okay, I know I’m from Niceville.  I like to believe the best of everyone.  It takes a lot to get me angry and upset.  Sure, this gets me beat up a lot – mostly figuratively not literally.  But just because I’m not willing to say something doesn’t make it right.  Y’all are on notice.  It’s not okay to say something cruel as a joke.  It’s not okay to put someone down because of what they do for a living or where they’re from.  It’s not okay to be rude.  It’s not okay to invade the personal space of others.  I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.  Being nice shouldn’t have ever gone out of style.  Stop causing everyone around you so much grief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

For fans of the Waltons

Choose your own adventure!