Let me work - please!


Okay, fine.  I’ll admit I don’t really work.  Writing isn’t work for me, it’s fun, I enjoy it and yes, sometimes I get paid for it.  But I’ve had it with people who think I need to get a ‘real’ job.  I’m at an age where I don’t need the money, stress, headaches.   I want to have an exciting life lived with wild abandon.  Not be tied down to anything or anyone.  Sure, no one would ever rent an apartment to me, let me buy anything on credit or trust me with their children.  Not like I want any of those things to happen anyway.  So I live how I want, work when I want and don’t have a care in the world.  Sure, sometimes I feel the need to get out of my house and tote my computer with me.  Because, hey, writer’s block is a very real thing.  Sitting and staring at those same four walls does nothing, trust me.  Thus, off I go to the nearest coffeeshop, café, whatever to get something to drink and my favorite thing to nosh on.  A place with a comfy chair and wi-fi.  For reasons that I will never quite understand, people watching gives me inspiration, go figure that one.  You get me out of my hidey-hole and I can think.  Wow, will wonders never cease.  Get the picture?  And so, yes, if you see me hunkered down over my computer – DON’T INTERRUPT ME!  It means that creative genius has just struck, I have some idea or another that must come pouring out.  This is not the time to tell me I’m just playing around on the internet and not really doing anything important in the first place.  Don’t get the notion I have the next two hours to talk about all of your problems, your kids, your dog.  I wonder if this ever happened to Hemingway, Tolstoy, Dickens.  Nah, they were probably smart enough and good enough to never leave their homes.  But me, I need the occasional break to see the rest of the world.  So, no I’m not being rude if I ask for some space if you sit next to me or say this isn’t a good time for a chat.  I don’t come to your place of work and plop down uninvited for a five hour talk about the weather.  Writing is and will always be a 'real' job.  Enough said.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

For fans of the Waltons

Choose your own adventure!