Is it just you, or is it dark in here?


I had a friend visit my home the other day.  She made a comment about how dark it was in my living room.  Uhm, well, okay.  It was the middle of the day, the blinds were half open, I could see just fine.  We talked for a while longer and then she asked if I needed some help financially.  Hold up here, what gave her that idea?  For the life of me I had no idea.  My house is nice, not to mention the fact I own it.  I wear nice clothes.  I don’t typically look like a slob.  I had served her coffee and a decadent chocolate cake.  Fine, I’ll bite and ask what the deal is.  Turns out, as far as she was concerned the only reason someone wouldn’t have the lights on was because they couldn’t afford the power bill.  Yikes, I would’ve never seen that one coming in a million years.  I typically don’t turn the lights on until nighttime.  Don’t know why exactly but my general rule of thumb is if I can at least sort of see, than there’s no need for any extra light.  And I really do mean that.  I won’t turn on the light in the bathroom unless I’m taking a shower no matter how dark it is in there.  I know where all my parts are so to speak and I know where everything in the bathroom is – light isn’t needed.  Taking a shower in the dark is just plain weird, in case you’re wondering.  Maybe I’m a holdover from days gone by before there were electric lights.  I prefer candles to lamps after all.  Now however, I’ve got to rethink this whole idea.  How many other people think I’m broke because they’ve come to my house when I didn’t have a single light on?  Ugh, whatever happened to everybody’s got to conserve energy because this planet’s doomed?  Not that I agree with the sentiment, I just don’t see the need to live on the sun with every light in the house on all of the time.  No, I don’t need to be wearing shades and sunscreen in my own home, thank you very much.  So forget me turning on a light or two or five just to make you think I have money.  Welcome to my cave…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!