Can you say that?


I was at the grocery store the other day.  I walked around the corner to where two male employees were stocking shelves.  I overheard one say to the other, “I don’t dance alone and I never dance with a man.”  Uhm, okay.  TMI.  I only wanted to grab some pickles.  I quickly made my presence known by saying, “I think I missed something important in this conversation.”  The guy who had made the statement laughed and replied, “Anything I can help you with?”  I just nodded no.  But it got me to thinking, in this day and age was this an okay thing to say in public?  Because, let’s face it, it seems like you look at someone sideways anymore and you can find yourself facing a lawsuit.  Now don’t get me wrong, there are some legit complaints being made.  However, have we reached the point that there is no such thing as an innocent comment or joke anymore?  Should I have been highly offended and upset by this remark?  I’ve never been a shrinking violet, so no, I wasn’t even fazed by this exchange.  A bit curious as to why anyone would say something like this maybe - nothing more.  But I’ve always tended to ignore unpleasantness in the world around me.  If you act ugly, I might not even register it.  I just don’t need that stuff in my life.  However, I’ve never been in a situation where my job might depend on being part of a team where this is common place.  I’ve had the luxury of selective hearing which apparently others simply don’t have.  I’m not sure if there is an answer to the question of what is and what isn’t safe to say.  Maybe we have just gone too far to ever go back a state of ignorance is bliss…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!