Bloodsucking leeches


So I got this call the other day.  It was from my former insurance company, they were wanting to know some info about my car and current address.  Problem is, I don’t own a car, my son does.  However, it appears he never updated the insurance to his name when he turned 18.  Well, gee, thanks.  Fine, I can handle this.  As politely as I could, I told the man on the phone, “Not my problem.  Talk to my son.”  He stammered, stuttered.  It was clear he hadn’t expected this response from me.  “Uhm, we have your number not his.  This could cause problems with the insurance.”  Okay then, this man needs to understand a few things.  Like, does his mom handle his insurance?  Unlikely.  “Adulting is hard.  But again, not my problem.”  So I hang up, text my son to call his insurance.  Hey, at least I did that much.  I was tempted to not do anything.  After all, my son turned 18 almost 2 years ago.  Yes, that’s right, 2 years ago not 2 days ago.  At the time, I had given him a gentle reminder he needed to make sure everything was in his name.  I did my job, now it’s his turn to act like the adult he supposedly is.  If you’ve been reading this blog for long you know I’ve closed the bank of mom, I’m not letting him move back in, I’m done treating him like a child.  Yup, welcome to the wonderful world of real life and hard knocks.  Okay, okay, I know that sounds a bit harsh.  Especially if you’re from a Hispanic family.  And how do I know this?  Well, yesterday I was having Cuban coffee with my neighbor who’s from Columbia.  I was laughing about the whole exchange with said insurance company and the joys of my bloodsucking leech, better known as my son.  She gave me a sideways look.  Then launched into a tirade about how children shouldn’t even leave home until they’ve been married forever and have a kid or two of their own.  Ugh, did I get schooled or what.  So maybe there’s a middle ground here.  What exactly that is I’m not sure.  But I think it might be worth it to take the time to find out.  If for no other reason than to appease the odd caller and my neighbor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!