What do you hear - green pepper or green olive?


Okay, I’ve been trying to learn Southern for a while now.  Trust me, it's a real language unto itself.  I really thought I had been making some progress.  It was easier to understand my neighbors, I was having to repeat myself less often.  However, twice in the last week I was reminded that I’m not from here and maybe I’ll never fit in.  The first instance was at a pizza place.  I placed my order which included the ingredient green olives.  The pizza arrived with green peppers.  Uhm, now in what universe does olives and peppers sound even remotely similar?  When I pointed out the mistake, the waitress stated, “Well, you're rather hard to understand.”  Of course she said this in her thick Southern drawl which I was supposed to interpret with no problems.  Fine, moving on with life with peppers not olives.  The second time, I was having a conversation with someone who also isn’t from here.  Someone else overheard the conversation and later asked me what language we were speaking.  Well, duh, English.  How did he not know what non-accented English sounds like?  Has he only heard Southern?  I almost asked him if he knew all of the states in the U.S. or if he was one of those from around here who couldn’t name half of them.  However, I decided not to shame him further.  Yet, how can I be the one in wrong in either of these cases?  I’m the one trying to do something new, be different, learn, grow.  So do I give up trying to fit in?  Do I just chalk this up to lesson learned, some people are never going to understand me no matter what I do?  No, I think I need to find another angle to approach the problem.  What exactly that is I don’t know at the moment.  Still wish I could find an interpretation app for Southern…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!