Silver platter thinking


I have some friends who posted a plea for funds so their child in college could go on a European trip.  Ah, but don’t worry, the plea stated, it was for collage credit.  I sat for a moment after I saw this.  My first thought was, why were they wanting others to help pay for their kid’s college expenses?  My son worked his way through college.  No free loading there.  Yet, this is a family who is always posting photos on Facebook of the latest trip they’ve taken – New York, Disney, the beach.  Heck, they could’ve not taken one of those trips and paid for this trip the college kid wants.  And then it struck me – why isn’t the college kid paying her own way?  Doesn’t she have a job?  Has she ever had a job?  Now I know so many kids never work anymore but really, if you want something this badly, wouldn’t you want to work for it?  But in the end, why did these people think it was just fine to beg for money from other people this way?  Somehow, I think priorities have gotten lost.  Needs and wants have become the same thing.  I was tempted to post a reply to the plea about what they really needed and that it had nothing to do with money.  In the end, I just ignored the request.  Hoping everyone else did as well.  Too bad in life when things go wrong we just can’t beg for a bail out for every little thing.  For these parents to try to teach their child there is a way out is just wrong.  Yes, sometimes we need a boost. But to be given everything on a silver platter ain’t never gonna happen.  So, don’t go teach anyone it is.  Well, just in case I'm wrong and we can be handed anything - I would love the money for a cruise around the world...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!