Grieving the dead lights


Okay, I’ll admit I’ve had a very bad week, well a bit more than that.  I knew it wasn’t going to be easy given the things I had to do but it’s turned out to be a lot more difficult then I’d ever imagined.  So today I decided to dedicate the whole day to regrouping – getting myself back in order.  However, fate had another idea in mind.  You see, I forgot that I had ordered something online.  And that today was the day it was going to be delivered.  And that, as luck would have, the young delivery driver, did not, in fact, know how to drive.  He beeped his horn and I rushed to the door, where I stood in horror upon opening it.  You see, he had missed the driveway.  Instead, he had backed up beside the drive and crushed every one of the solar pathway lights lining it.  I hadn’t even had my morning coffee yet, this was the last thing I needed.  So, there I stood, just inside the door sobbing.  I know, I know, its just 15 bucks worth of lights.  But here I was acting like he’d run over my kid or my dog.  He brought the first box to the door and was genuinely puzzled as to why I was crying.  I mumbled thru my tears about the lights.  He looked at the yard for a moment and said he was sorry.  This just made me weep deeper, I sunk to the floor.  It was the release I needed after all that had happened over the past week or so.  There was no way to make him understand why I was losing it.  He rushed to his truck for box number two.  He then said he’d have his supervisor come over later.  It wasn’t necessary, this had nothing to with the lights but I was no position to say so at that point.  Sometimes the thing we need the most is to just grieve, deep and long.  Even if no one has died – there are things in our lives that need to be put to rest permanently.  The only way to truly let go is to say goodbye.  Those light represented something from this week, someone from this very difficult week.  They triggered something, they died for something.  And I feel better, I feel good.  I am glad they're gone.  I can move on now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!