And I care why?


So, I was at my favorite coffee shop the other day.  Yeah, I know not exactly news.  Anyway, in walks this woman who announces that she just walked over an hour to get there.  Okay, well, what does she want, a gold star?  There didn’t seem to an obvious reason for her to be walking that far, she wasn’t overweight, she was modestly dressed.  Sure, I walk almost everywhere but I don’t walk that far just for the sake of walking.  Not when my favorite place to get a quick cup of something and a bite is less than 10 minutes from my house.  No, I need a legitimate reason to go so far from home and even then, I would need to think twice about it.  And why let the whole place know how far you walked?  What’s missing in her life to lead her to need such validation?  Fine, I get it.  Some people need to celebrate every little win.  But this seemed a bit over the top.  Where exactly is the line between being proud of your achievements and tooting your horn?  You know, I think this is another one of those things that’s been lost today.  We give kids trophies for showing up, doing nothing.  They grow into adults who think praise grows on trees.  Not good.  So, here’s to getting praise when you do something great.  And without you having to ask for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!