Life's a party


What’s up with this new generation of baby adults?  I’m talking about those 20 something year old people who think they’re adults but can’t possibly be.   Because they still think every moment's a party.  Take for instance this exchange I witnessed.  Someone I know was considering selling their home.  A young man who works at the same company overhears a conversation about this.  He says something to the effect that he’s tired of renting.  So, the two set up a time for the young man to tour the home.  Now, mind you, my friend’s near retirement age and hasn’t made any firm plans yet.  But still he didn’t want to waste his time with someone who really wasn’t in the market.  Thus, he had asked some questions before agreeing to the tour.  Well, the night this was all supposed to happen, my friend and I were going to have dinner.  The young man didn’t show up at the appointed time.  Fine, we waited awhile.  We got hungry.  We waited some more.  Finally, I said I’d whip up some dinner and we’d skip going out as planned.  About the time I had dinner ready to put on the table, the young man in question showed up.  With a friend.  They didn’t knock on the door for several minutes, instead they wandered around the yard like they already owned the place.  Each with a beer in their hand and a cigarette.  I asked my friend if he was going to go out to greet them and he flat out refused.  He mumbled something about not wanting to deal with the rude people.  When they finally knocked on the door, they left the cigarettes smoking in the bushes.  They walked in with the beers still clutched in their hands.  After the tour, they said they were so much more responsible than other 24-year old’s and were so eager to make an offer.  Oh, my goodness.  If that’s true this world is doomed.  My friend hemmed and hawed, saying he’d think about if he was ready to sell.  Was I that stupid when I was that age?  No, I’m sure I wasn’t because I already owned my first house long before that.  Trust me, I didn’t go to a house tour late nor was I drinking or smoking.  I went with a check list of what I needed to inspect to ensure the house was worth buying.  These boys never kicked the tires, so to speak.  How did this happen?  Did their parents teach them nothing?  How are they able to hold down jobs?  How are they going to survive getting married, having kids?  But it’s not my problem.  Let them party while the world burns…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For fans of the Waltons

Where is the best place to spill your guts?

Choose your own adventure!